Chief Insurance Officer
A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work in an early-stage, well-funded InsurTech startup run by seasoned founders, backed by A-list investors, chasing a $250B global market. Reporting directly to the CEO, you will:
- Own the relationship with our carrier partners. Work with our partners to support new features, geographies, and products.
- Own the roadmap, vision, and execution of our insurance product development (new features, lines of business, etc.).
- Own the strategy for insurance at the operational level (e.g. claims handling, capacity, structure).
- Own our insurance licensing and compliance functions.
- Help us prioritize new features and product lines and perfect our current products and pricing.
- Manage the evolution of our full-stack insurance product from CGL and Aviation to a full suite including but not limited to Events, Professional Liability, Inland Marine, Cyber, Workers’ Comp, Commercial Property, and Commercial Auto.
- Manage our regulatory / product design firms.
- Manage our internal and external actuaries.
- Manage the filing and regulatory approvals process for our custom forms and rates.
- Work with our product team to create a go-to-market plan for each new product / feature.
- Help optimize new product lines for cross-selling.
- Advise our product team on the state of the market and ideas for radical, non-traditional products.
- Be intimately familiar with competitor filings and actively monitor the market for new developments.
Operations / Regulatory
- Become one of our Designated Producers nationwide (we will cover the cost of any license upgrades required).
- Be our ultimate authority on insurance questions from customers, partners, and regulators.
- Ensure that our content and messaging is compliant, and our internal teams are working with digestible guidelines.
- Help us manage compliance and build a formal compliance function.
- Work with our outside counsel to address regulatory and compliance questions and issues.
- Work with our carrier partners to streamline the claims process and provide input to the product team on how to reduce friction in the claims process and our loss ratio.
- Develop our long-term strategy for buy vs build (e.g. handling claims, sharing upside / risk in our book, etc.).
- Significant experience in a senior (e.g. VP Insurance, CUO) position at a top venture-backed startup, or P&C insurer / broker.
- Experience working in a venture-backed startup or small company environment prized, experience working with startups a must.
- Command and love of technology.
- Demonstrable track record of building admitted products and a strong command of the insurance product development and regulatory approval process.
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks, adapt to changing needs, and, and tackle new challenges daily.
- Calm and comfortable in a fluid environment.
- Strategic, tactical, and willing to be hands-on in building a world-class insurance function.
- Action-oriented with an own-the-outcome mindset, applied at scale and through working with others.
- Relentless in prioritization of goals, strategies and individual tasks.
- Demonstrated experience hiring, mentoring, coaching and retaining a high-performing team.
- Scrappy (and proud of it).
- Significant package including generous stock options
- Build and deploy insurance products that help people live better lives
- Hardware of your choice
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental coverage
- 20 days paid vacation plus company-wide holidays
- LES office - Bowery / Broome (and a pair of house dogs!)
- Bagel Mondays & team outings